The current occupant of the presidential office has given the number 45 a pretty bad rap. I also tend to get more reflective and introspective near birthdays and anniversaries. So, in light of my 45th birthday last year (and my 46th birthday coming faster than a speeding train), I thought I’d jot down some lessons I’ve learned over the past 45 years:
- I can’t do it all.
- I can’t do everything right.
- I can’t know it all.
- I need life-giving people in my inner circle.
- Listen faster.
- Conflict doesn’t have to end relationships.
- Smell the roses.
- Prevention > intervention.
- Representation matters.
- Nothing is truly wasted.
- Rest is critical to longevity.
- Get a mentor.
- Don’t procrastinate.
- Cherish old friendships.
- Seasons change.
- Insecurity is a life-sucker.
- Invest in others.
- Live by convictions, not whims.
- Be content.
- Teach the right things.
- Laughter really is good medicine.
- Learn from other people’s mistakes.
- Grow up.
- Season hard truth with love.
- Confess, repent, and move on.
- Grieve with hope.
- People-pleasing is a never-ending cycle.
- Be courageous.
- Speak up.
- If you want friends, be friendly.
- Obey quickly.
- Believe other people when they show you who they really are.
- Take better care of yourself.
- You cannot want more for someone else than they want for themselves.
- Love deeply and sincerely.
- Forgive people who have offended you–even if they never repent.
- Live a lifestyle of repentance.
- I cannot see clearly on my own–I need the perspectives of others.
- There’s always a reason to pray.
- Sing for joy.
- Leave a legacy your unborn grandchildren can be proud of.
- Wear a *good* shoe.
- Ask, seek, knock.
- Don’t orient your life around comfort.
- Live generously.
- Be thankful.
I didn’t aim to come up with 46 things when I started this list, but once I got started, that became my goal. And while I didn’t flesh these things out in depth, many of them stand without explanation.
I’m still learning these things and so much more–growth is a lifelong process–but thought I’d take a moment to capture a snapshot on this leg of my journey with Jesus. Thanks for sharing the view with me.
Awesome lesson on the journey!
Reblogged this on après-pensées.